Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Featured Guest: Wayward Girls

Hey everyone! I'm Just Jaime from Wayward Girls' Crafts where I happily blog with my three sisters and mom. We just started our blog in April so we're a little new on the scene. I still get very excited over every comment and new follower =)  Our interests include: knitting, sewing, decorating, upcycling, quilting, papercrafts, cooking and baking. We are known to bite off a bit more than we can chew crafting-wise, but we seem to be able to pull it off in the end.

So I've seen a lot of state-loving on Pinterest lately and the bug has bitten me! I love my home state, North Carolina, and am sad I can't live there right now. I thought a North Carolina print would be perfect for my home, but you can make State Canvas Art with any state or country. This is what I created:

First let's start with the materials:

1 Stretched Canvas (I used 11 x 14)
Three different colors of acrylic paint (red paint is not pictured)
Paint Brush
Scissors
Cardstock and Printer (not pictured)

I started by giving my canvas 2 coats of blue acrylic paint (Folk Art 2555 Deep Ocean Blue):

I tried to make sure the paint was even, especially in the middle where the state would be seen. The first coat I went across my canvas. For the second I went up and down.

Then this happened....I couldn't have done this if I tried! My scissors just landed this way!

Next I printed out a map of my state on cardstock. I measured it to make sure it would fit well on my canvas.

I took my scissors and got to cutting. I decided to skip trying to cut out the island chain on the coast of my state (The Outerbanks) and left them on there. I like the shape better.  At this point I started remembering my 4th grade state project, where I used salt dough to make the Ol' North State. Good times. Back to the project!

I applied removable adhesive to the back of my cardstock and stuck it on my dry canvas (I let it dry overnight just to be sure).

I used a contrasting paint color (Folk Art 2561 Steel Gray) and started in the middle and painted OUT from my state. I didn't want to try to push the paint against the edges and have the cardstock curl or the paint get underneath.

I gave the canvas two coats but didn't wait until the second coat fully dried before removing the state.

I wanted to make sure it would come up easily.  I used tweezers to pull the side up so I wouldn't hurt the paint. It looked AWESOME. So awesome I forgot to take a picture. But I decided to put the final touch, a little heart over my home town.

Jordan McCollum,  said... June 1, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Love it, Jaime! You made this way easier than it looks!

That's my sister ;)

Jasmine,  said... June 1, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Yay Jaime! I think I might have to do this for my apartment!

Kyle and Mollie,  said... June 1, 2011 at 2:54 PM

I think it's great. I've been looking for something for my hall...and this will be perfect. And I miss my home state, too. Thanks :)!

Nicole@Thrifty Decorating,  said... June 1, 2011 at 9:34 PM

That was a great tutorial and a really neat idea! Thanks for linking! :)

c.w.frosting,  said... June 1, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Very cute! Great tutorial as well! I should make these for my former home states, NY, IL =)

-caroline @ c.w.frosting

Love Sweet Love,  said... June 2, 2011 at 1:08 AM

I want one! I love my home state of TX and am so proud to be a Texan, but no one knows it! I'm so making one of these so everybody knows my roots! Thanks for a great tutorial Jaime!

I'm coming over from Wayward Girls and am a new follower of your fun blog!
Angela

Leanne,  said... June 2, 2011 at 2:23 AM

This is such a cute idea. I featured it on my FB fan page. Thanks for linking to the party.

Handy Man, Crafty Woman,  said... June 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM

That's such a creative idea; love it! Thanks so much for linking this up to our Wicked Awesome Wednesday party!

The One Stop Baby Shop,  said... June 2, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Hi I'm visiting from A Glimpse Inside!
I LOVE this crafty project thanks for sharing!! You can find me here:

Lilli

Kristine @ JandMs Eye Candy,  said... June 3, 2011 at 1:37 AM

SO lovely!!! Hoping to try this for our living room!! Sweet! Thanks for sharing!!

My link :)

Michelle,  said... June 3, 2011 at 1:08 PM

It turned out great. I like the aqua and gray combo. Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5!

Kelli @ RTSM,  said... June 3, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Love it! The colors are great! I want to figure out a fast way to cut these out because I would love to do all 50 states in my boys playroom:)

AllieMakes!,  said... June 5, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Cute! Great job! Love the blue!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Ty and Whitty,  said... June 5, 2011 at 7:54 PM

I am so in love and i am so doing this thank you so much and yes I even pinned this :) I found this project through TT&J linky party! Thank you for sharing. Come say hi! I love new followers.

A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

Tanya @ Greetings From the Asylum,  said... June 6, 2011 at 11:39 PM

My son loves maps. This would be something he would love in his bedroom! Thanks for sharing!

Mindie Hilton,  said... June 11, 2011 at 11:49 AM

I would love for you to link it up to my party that is running now. Any linky goes.

Come strut your stuff.

Just Jaime,  said... July 19, 2011 at 10:20 PM

CCL, Removable adhesive is sometimes called repositionable adhesive and it's the only kind I use for scrapbooking. I recommend Herma Dotto Removable adhesive (http://www.amazon.com/Ek-Success-HMDR9261-Removable-Refill/dp/B0013LAZWS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311128338&sr=8-2). It is repositional but it also stays put. So in this project, it keeps the state secure, but comes up without taking the paint with it.

Thanks for asking!