Monday, May 9, 2011

Wipes Case Laptop Tutorial

Wipes Case Pic 1

I’m so glad lots of you liked the (Low Tech High Tech) Wipes Case Laptopthank you!

I admit, it is a little silly (ridiculous!) but, I assure you, it is lots of fun!

Really, what child doesn’t want her own laptop computer toy with a picture like this on it?
Wipes Laptop 8
(I talked her out of her favorite picture “Bloody Eye” which was taken just after she got stitches. Ewww!)

Here's how to make it...

Materials
Laptop Wipes9
empty wipes case
paint thinner
sand paper
spray paint for plastic
cardboard scraps
1/2 sheet craft foam
white cardstock
hot glue
Mod Podge Dimensional Magic
alphabet stickers

To make the keys with paper and wood (if you have small or flat stickers), you will need to buy a piece of thin, flat wood that is 1/2 inch wide. I got this at JoAnn’s. I think it was balsa—it is very thin and lightweight (I cut it with scissors).  You will also need a piece of cardstock.
Laptop Wipes2

Instructions
Cover alphabet stickers with Mod Podge Dimensional Magic. Let dry for 3 hours. I think this is what really made the project—the keys feel like real keyboard keys and my daughter loves them! The clear alphabet stickers I bought were epoxy and are kind of rubbery, but not nearly as cool as the other ones!
Laptop Wipes5

Prepare the wipes case:
Laptop Wipes10

Trace around wipes case on cardboard and craft foam. Cut out.
Laptop Wipes11

Check the fit in the wipes case (turn case upside down so foam is actually going in the top of the case) and trim as necessary. I used my fingernail to make a crease in the foam and just trimmed that.
Laptop Wipes4

Hot glue the cardboard in the bottom of the case (it was the top of the case, now the bottom of the laptop) and glue the craft foam on top of that.
Laptop Wipes12

Make the Keyboard
Hot glue the alphabet stickers to the craft foam. I used the side of the sticker sheet as a guide to line them up.

It was hard to decide if I should set this up like a real keyboard or in alphabetical order. I finally went for alphabetical order since this is, obviously, geared for very young children. Laptop Wipes6
(It looked unfinished so I added a piece of wood colored it with a crayon to make a space bar. Then, I added Mod Podge Dimensional Magic to that as well. This picture was taken before it was dry—it dries clear.)

Wipes Laptop 5

To Make Your Own Keys:
Cut wood and cardstock into 1/2 inch squares. Glue cardstock to wood. Place something flat and heavy (i.e. a book) on top while it dries to prevent curling.
Laptop Wipes13

Hot glue keys to craft foam using something as a guide to keep things even. (Mine still weren’t so even…but I was ok with that!) Add the alphabet stickers to the keys. Laptop Wipes14

To be honest, I am planning to add Mod Podge Dimensional Magic to these as well—the shape just isn’t as good as the other keyboard even though it was already a raised shape.
Laptop Wipes7

Make the Screen
Cut cardstock to fit inside of the wipes case. This will be your screen. You can use pictures or print out an email you’ve written to your child or whatever you would like. I let my daughter pick some pictures and then I picked some, too.
Laptop Wipes8

I also added some blank sheets and some markers so that we can draw our own “screens” when we are out and about. My purse is already set up to hold a wipes case—this is nothing new! You can even use your cute wipes/diaper holders once you are done carrying around diapers and wipes. It makes a perfect laptop sleeve or case!
Wipes Laptop 4

I also couldn’t resist adding a little vinyl to the front. Of course, I used a dog—one of my daughter’s favorite things!
Wipes Laptop 6

Voila!
Collage

I’d love to see some pictures if you make a Wipes Case Laptop!

I link to the parties in my sidebar and these:

Tip Junkie handmade projects

❀❀❀Ðαωᾔ❀❀❀,  said... May 9, 2011 at 8:23 AM

Cute idea:) I'm sure kids love them, and not much money involved so they can be replaced often. Great tut!

Jaclyn,  said... May 9, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Wow that is so creative! My niece and nephews would love something like this! I would love if you linked this up to Make it for Less Mondays at www.simplycadence.blogspot.com!
Hope to see you there!

Emily,  said... May 9, 2011 at 9:54 AM

that is absolutely brilliant! my kids are always pretending to be working on their "computer" (which is actually an old phone). They would love this!! thanks for sharing!

Kristy,  said... May 9, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Oh my goodness! That has got to be one of the cutest ideas I've seen in a long while! What fun!!! Thanks for sharing!

Richmond Thrifter,  said... May 9, 2011 at 2:36 PM

This was SO CUTE!! I have to make one for my little ones, they would LOVE it! Thanks for your sweet email about the desk! Now following you and excited to see what else you are up to ;)

Nancy's Couture,  said... May 9, 2011 at 11:19 PM

You NEVER cease to amaze me!!! If I ever quit carrying wet wipes around I know what I'm gonna do with the cases :0) Thanks for another wonderful idea.

Charity,  said... May 10, 2011 at 11:30 AM

So cute! I don't think I even have any of these skinny wipe containers around anymore...I mostly carried the gigantic ones or the disposable ones. :(

Kathryn Michelle Jenkins,  said... May 10, 2011 at 9:28 PM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this. I am definitely going to try it. so cool. thanks for posting. I'm a new follower! and glad I found your blog.

kathryn
www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

Lil Mama Stuart,  said... May 11, 2011 at 11:21 AM

came from clue cricket designs. what a great way to repurpose! and a good way to keep paper and a few writing utensils! thanks!

Katie,  said... May 12, 2011 at 8:47 AM

THis is super cute! I think I need to contact my SIL and tell her to save a wipe case so I can make one for my nephew! I'd love if you'd link up to Sew Woodsy!

Selina,  said... May 12, 2011 at 10:32 AM

This is so funny!!! Very creative. Saw you on she Ff and JB :-)

Rachel at Sun Scholars,  said... May 16, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Oh my gosh, this is awesome! What a fun project!

I would love to have you share this at my For the Kids link party! Stop by and join in on the fun!

Michele,  said... June 28, 2011 at 7:24 AM

I love this idea! I posted a link to your article on my blog. http://www.educatinglucy.com/2011/06/wipes-laptop-case-for-toddlers.html

Sewing Momma,  said... May 23, 2012 at 9:54 AM

This is one of the cutest ideas I have ever seen! Just adorable. I wish I had thought of this when my kids were younger. Great job!
Susan