Monday, May 2, 2011

The Gift That Grows (a bit)

BWR Damask 3

Don’t you love a gift that keeps on giving?

With just a little extra effort, this baby gift became one that can be enjoyed just a little longer!

I love to give handmade clothes for baby gifts—especially when it is for a baby girl. (Boys--not so much. Remember this?) But, those darling little baby outfits are outgrown so quickly. As I sewed this one, I was thinking what a shame it is that it will be outgrown so quickly, especially for a knot dress. Thanks to the adjustable knots, you can wear these for so much longer than other dresses that don’t adjust. But for a baby, length is a really big deal. Then I realized I could just add some cute pants to make the outfit last longer. Right on!

That how I ended up with this.
 BWR Damask 1

Add a pair of {double} ruffle pants in the next size and the dress becomes the top.
 BWR Damask 2

How’s that for growing with a baby?
Why couldn't I have thought of this with my own babies? It's not rocket science!

I packaged it in a long, narrow narrow box which, surprisingly, made me love it even more!
BWR Damask 7

What do you think?
Would you like to receive a gift like this?

I link to the parties in my sidebar and these:

Tip Junkie handmade projects

Emily,  said... May 2, 2011 at 7:45 AM

If I had a girl I would totally love that dress as a gift so adorable!

Tanya,  said... May 2, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Hee hee, if I could pull it off, I'D wear that gift! Super cute idea.

Nancy's Couture,  said... May 2, 2011 at 9:15 AM

I l.o.v.e. the fabric combination!!! How did you knot the ends to look like flowers?
I would have loved to recieve something like that for Aiyanna when she was a baby.

Lynne,  said... May 2, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Wow, what a fabulous gift! I always love your fabric choices!

Diane,  said... May 2, 2011 at 10:47 AM

OMGosh, this is soooo cute Ÿ Great idea and you packaged it beautifully Ü

youtube,  said... May 2, 2011 at 2:04 PM

I love the idea - one of the saddest things is when my daughter grew out of her baby dresses - this would have been perfect! Love the wrapping too.
Jennifer
wwww.bigdandme.com

Hannah McConnell,  said... May 2, 2011 at 2:32 PM

I'm dying to make this myself and give it away... There are SEVERAL babies coming our way in my church and so I'd better get busy.
I'm following you from the Girl Creative Linking Party. Please follow me at
www.daughterbydesign.blogspot.com

Erin,  said... May 2, 2011 at 3:59 PM

absolutely!! in fact, i did already receive one! :) I love it and cannot wait until Gemma can fit into it! Soon, I hope!

❀❀❀Ðαωᾔ❀❀❀,  said... May 3, 2011 at 1:38 PM

This is just adorable. You are so talented. I have a baby shower for a girl to go to in 3 weeks this would be a great gift. Thanks for the idea:)

Abby,  said... May 3, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Too cute! What a great idea! I'll have to remmember this for future gift giving.

Kelly @livingcraftilyeverafter,  said... May 3, 2011 at 3:12 PM

OMG this is SO cute!!!!! My little girl would be in that so fast if I knew how to sew! LOL! VERY cute!!!

Kelly

Misty,  said... May 3, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Love this! Wish I could tie knots like that! :) Soooo cute!

Katie,  said... May 4, 2011 at 8:58 AM

This is "sew" cute! I'm a new followers of yours--love your blog. I'd love if you linked up to Sew Woodsy!

Alison @ mommadidit.blogspot.com,  said... May 4, 2011 at 9:54 AM

This is adorable! And with four little girls, I can appreciate anything that can grow along with them!

Kara,  said... May 4, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Um yes, I would absolutely love to receive a gift like this...it's so stinkin cute!! How practical too...what a great idea! I'm already sad that we have so many newborn clothes that our first baby girl (due at the end of this month!) will outgrow entirely too quickly. LOVE the idea of putting it as a top with pants!

Alison@Oopsey Daisy,  said... May 4, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Absolutely genius, Tammy!! I agree--that black, white, and red is SO perfect together!

Lauren @ YoungNester,  said... May 5, 2011 at 8:34 PM

This is absolutely adorable! I love the pattern. I wish I had your skills!

Natalie Hansen,  said... May 5, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Love it, did you make up your own pattern or buy one. I would love to see a tutorial on it if you have one. Thank you for sharing.

Christine - Tutorial Addict lol,  said... May 6, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Heck YEAH I'd love to receive something like that! And all my babies are grown lol ... maybe in MY size?! ;) I think that is a BEAUTIFUL gift, I especially love the fabrics you used :)

Maridith @ Strictly Homemade,  said... May 9, 2011 at 10:25 PM

This is SO SMART!!! I am so going to do this for my little girl. Thanks so much for the fabulous idea!!

Thank you so much for linking up to Strictly Homemade Tuesday! I do hope you will join up this Tuesday and inspire us again!!