Monday, March 14, 2011

Creative Shopping Help

Do you ever get more help than you really want at the grocery store? Me, too! The best way to resolve this is to channel that help into something that works for everyone. I created a shopping book to keep my daughter busy while we shop.

But, this isn’t just for entertainment—she can really participate in the shopping experience!
Shopping Book 4

I can use the felt food to create a shopping list. I velcro the items we need on the right side of the book—the shelves.
Shopping Book 3Shopping Book 4

As we shop, my daughter can remove the item from the shelves and put it into the shopping bag on the right side of the book.
Shopping Book 5

To keep it all together, the book closes with a velcro fastener.
Shopping Book 6

The shopping bag handle isn’t just for show—your child can carry the shopping book by the handle.
Shopping Book 2

I made an extra pocket in my book to store unwanted items. This way, the whole book is self-contained and everything is ready when I need it. The book is also sturdy enough to stay open and propped up on the handle of the shopping cart.
Shopping Book 1

Now, I am looking forward to going to the store this week instead of dreading it! I can’t wait to try this out with my daughter!

What do you think? Would this make shopping with children more fun?

Would you like a tutorial?

I'm linking HERE this week.

Ginna,  said... March 14, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I LOVE this idea......I think even my 6 year old would like a older version of this! Thanks for the idea!!!

www.juiceboxdreams.com

Kim @ It's a Crafty Life,  said... March 14, 2011 at 4:07 PM

So adorable! I don't have kids yet, but I can only imagine that it would help keep them busy. :-)

Meg,  said... March 14, 2011 at 5:18 PM

This is so fun! I love it. I need 3 please. Ha! It would also help me purchase healthy foods! ;)

Sarah @ Sarahndipities,  said... March 14, 2011 at 5:29 PM

So fun! I'd love for you to share this at my Make Something Mondays Link Party!

-Sarah

Rachel at Sun Scholars,  said... March 14, 2011 at 5:38 PM

What a great idea!!

I'd love to have you come link up at my For the Kids Friday Link Party! Stop by and check it out!

hungryhippie,  said... March 14, 2011 at 7:15 PM

This is BRILL!!!! I LOVE IT! My 3 yr old would have a great time with this in the store...what a good learning tool.
YES-tute if you would. :o)
natalie

Jennifer H,  said... March 14, 2011 at 9:06 PM

TOO cute!!! I love this idea - yes a tutorial please! This would be a great idea for my crafting moms group! Thanks

Rachel at Sun Scholars,  said... March 14, 2011 at 11:37 PM

Thanks for linking up to For the Kids Fridays at SunScholars.blogspot.com. I hope to have you join us again this Friday!

Bobbie - Clumsy Crafter,  said... March 15, 2011 at 12:27 AM

Can I just come and sit in your house to watch you do all this stuff? I'm amazed.

Nancy's Couture,  said... March 15, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Brilliant!!! You always come up with such wonderful ideas to make life easier!

Humble Homemaker,  said... March 15, 2011 at 4:40 AM

This idea is fab! I don't have kids yet but keep collecting ideas for when I do and this one is definately one to save and keep for future reference. Thanks for sharing... and yes, a tutorial would be awesome! :)
Humble Homemaking

Anne Maskell,  said... March 15, 2011 at 8:51 AM

I'd love a tutorial! Your idea is fabulous. I could have very happily used this with each of my four 'shoppers' when they were young!

Doreen,  said... March 15, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Great creative and useful idea! I'll have to keep it in a file as my kids have outgrown the shopping cart...about 14 years ago!

Jenn,  said... March 15, 2011 at 11:56 AM

This is an awesome idea! I love that you put items that you will actually be getting at the store!!! I think a tutorial would be great. I would love to make one.

Alison @ mommadidit.blogspot.com,  said... March 15, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Having four overly helpful little girls, I can totally relate. This a fabulous idea! I would love a tutorial on how you did it!

Sarah,  said... March 15, 2011 at 8:03 PM

This is so cute! I just did a similar shopping activitie for my kids check it out http://the-little-people-place.blogspot.com/2011/03/i-go-shopping.html
Sarah

The Princess and the Tot,  said... March 15, 2011 at 11:01 PM

I used to do something similar (but not NEARLY as cute or creative) with Princess! I adore this and would love a tutorial to make a boyish one for Super Tot! I simply LOVE it!

Brittany,  said... March 15, 2011 at 11:10 PM

It looks like a great idea to me. Anything to make the shopping experience easier! I try to avoid going to the store as much as possible. I like how it's something fun for her to do, AND help out with the shopping at the same time.

Heather at Dragonfly Designs,  said... March 16, 2011 at 12:52 AM

I freaking love it - so would my three year old son! Thanks for sharing ~ please stop by and say hi sometime!

Kim @ seven thirty three,  said... March 16, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Oh you crafty, crafty lady! What a GREAT idea!

Thanks for linking with Sugar & Spice.

Laurel {Make and Takes},  said... March 16, 2011 at 2:35 PM

This is such an awesome idea - my daughter would love this! I'd love for you to submit it to the M&T Spotlight at http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

La-Dee-da crafter,  said... March 16, 2011 at 9:30 PM

such a great idea! My girls are too old and would probably think I was crazy but I love this so much!!!
ladeedacreations.com

laxsupermom,  said... March 17, 2011 at 1:36 PM

What a cool project! I'd love a tutorial! What a nice way to keep your kid entertained and in an interactive way. Thanks for sharing.

I'm hosting a Throwback Thursdays Party, and would love it if you swung by and linked up something you made/bought/did from before blogging. I can't wait to see what you bring.

Jaime,  said... March 17, 2011 at 6:24 PM

I love it!! I'd love for you to come link up at Wow Me Wednesdays!

Brooke (Siayla),  said... March 17, 2011 at 7:35 PM

I LOVE this idea! What a fantastic way to keep the kiddos involved and busy in a sometimes not-so-fun-to-do-with-kids activity!

www.siayla.blogspot.com

Rachel at Sun Scholars,  said... March 17, 2011 at 11:44 PM

I'm featuring your awesome idea on For the Kids Friday this week. Make sure to hop on over and grab an A++ feature button. I'd love to have you link up to this week's party while you're there!

Jaime,  said... March 18, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Thanks for linking up and make sure and add my button to your collection!

April,  said... March 20, 2011 at 12:20 AM

So clever. I would love to make this for my kids...maybe they would stop asking to go to the toy section...come link up to my Sew Crafty Party and check out Spring Fling. It kicks off tomorrow. 14 Days ~ 28 Fabulous Giveaways! Hope you check it out!

Jill,  said... March 20, 2011 at 7:37 PM

What a brilliant idea! So neat and practical - I'd like one for myself, never mind my kids! Much better than a scrap paper list!

I would love if you came over and linked this project to my weekly Round Tuit party at:
Have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success

Bec Shulba,  said... March 21, 2011 at 1:36 AM

would we like a tutorial? YES PLEASE! this is SO cool! thanks for sharing!

Stephanie,  said... March 23, 2011 at 11:56 PM

this is so cute - not sure I can make it with my sad sewing skills, but I may give it a try!

Tammy @ she wears flowers,  said... March 24, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Stephanie--you can do it! If you are comfortable using your machine, you can do this. It looks like a lot, but you are really just sewing straight(ish) lines. I hope you make one and I'd love to see a pic when you do! ;)

michaelinasmom,  said... March 27, 2011 at 2:33 AM

My kids would like this and I can think of a couple friends whose children would LOVE this! Thank you so much!!!!

Kassandra @ Coffee and their Kisses,  said... May 6, 2011 at 8:39 PM

I love this! I would love to see a tutorial for it, do you have one? BTW I'm your newest stalker via GFC :o) I'm Kassandra from Coffee and their Kisses.

Pol Treviss,  said... July 21, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Your post it's very interesting and very usefull, thanks for hosting. Does any of you have ever heard about www.elcoplanet.com or maybe use their web hosting service ? Because I nee web hosting for my page. Thanks