Monday, February 14, 2011

Share the Love

It has been Valentine’s Day stuff all weekend long here so I thought I would share it with you.
Maybe you need a very last minute gift idea still? Or, you can file these ideas away for next year!

I couldn’t post the teacher gifts early because I think they are on to me! {smile}
My girls carried these surprises off to school this morning so I think I am safe!
Valentine's Stuff16
Valentine's Stuff12
Our teacher gift was a sock cupcake! I saw the idea for this on someone else’s blog, but I can’t find it again. (If anyone recognizes it, please send me the link so I can share! UPDATE: The original idea came from the blog seven thirty-three HERE--thanks!) I loved the idea, but I wanted something fabulous to hold it all together.
I thought a coffee cozy might work, but wasn't sure. After finding out that one teacher drinks coffee often and the other sometimes, I decided it would make a great cupcake wrapper and decided to just go for it. Turns out it works perfectly!
{Love those kinds of projects!}
I found my pattern HERE. I wanted mine to be completely reversible, so I used fun fabrics on both sides.
I also used Insul-Brite (or Insul-Bright which is heat-resistant batting) inside of them to make them a little more heat resistant.
Valentine's Stuff7Valentine's Stuff8
I found these wonderful socks at Bath and Body Works before Christmas. I bought a few pairs and, before I could store them away, saw the idea for the sock cupcake and was thrilled to be able to use them right away. These fuzzy socks are scented and I was a little worried about storing them for too long.
I removed the tags (but saved them and put them in the gift bag so the teachers would have the washing instructions) and rolled both socks tightly from toe to top.
Valentine's Stuff9
Then, I wrapped the coffee cozies around the bottom and fluffed up the socks to look more like frosting.
Valentine's Stuff10
I added a cherry on the top using a cherry cupcake topper made on my Silhouette and glued it to a toothpick. I thought about gluing a pom pom to a toothpick for the cherry, but I liked the “cherry/cupcake topper combo” look. I just carefully poked the toothpick through one of the spaces in between the rolls on the sock.
Valentine's Stuff13
Finally, I put it in a cellophane bag and tied it with a ribbon. Done! These would be great for a Teacher Appreciation gift, too!
Valentine's Stuff15
Now, I kinda wish we drank coffee just so I could make a bazillion fun coffee cozies! Drat!
My older girls worked for a long time on their Valentine Boxes. In the past, we have worked together to make really creative Valentine boxes. I think my girls were just ready to do what everyone else was doing.
Olivia made a rocket ship and was thrilled with it. After her Dad helped her cut out the right holes and wrap it in foil, she wanted to do everything else on her own. (She doesn’t know The Love Boat, but “Love Ship” did make me chuckle!”

Valentine's Stuff2Valentine's Stuff3
Alison specifically requested a regular box (we used a cereal box) that was just wrapped in paper and decorated.

Valentine's Stuff4
The girls also made their Valentine cards for their friends. Every year I try to talk them into (cheap and easy!) store-bought cards, but no such luck. Olivia told me months ago that she wanted lemon drops or red hots and she knew just what she wanted the cards to say. I bought both candies and told them to decide which they wanted to do. So this is what they came up with.

Valentine's Stuff20Valentine's Stuff21
We dipped strawberry heart-shaped marshmallows in chocolate and sprinkles, put them on skewers and wrapped them up for a few friends.

Valentine's Stuff19

I also stacked some in a small candy box for one of the teachers. (The other teacher specifically requested that the children not give her candy for Valentine’s Day.)
**BTW, I saw some tiny takeout boxes in Valentine designs at Joann’s a couple of weeks ago. They would have been perfect and I wish I had bought them! I just might be checking for them on clearance this week to save for next year!**

Valentine's Stuff17

I was worried about the marshmallows getting hard, so I wrapped the box tightly in a cellophane bag, too. Cross your fingers that they are still fresh and soft by the time the teacher opens them up!
Valentine's Stuff18

I spent a long (long!) time making THESE cookies for my daughter’s class at school. I signed up to send in cookies for her party and was thrilled when I saw THIS idea last week. I couldn’t resist trying these out. They turned out pretty well, but took a lot longer than I thought they would take to make. But, they are delicious so I think it was well worth it!
You know mine look exactly like this, don’t you??
(Well, my cookies do, but my pictures do not!)
Actually, my cookies look almost just like this—because the directions are excellent!
UPDATE: Per request, here are my cookies…
Valentine's Stuff 23
That's what we are doing for Valentine's Day Stuff--
What are you doing?
Happy Valentine’s Day!

I'm linking HERE this week (or look in my sidebar)

Andrea,  said... February 14, 2011 at 2:44 AM

I LOVE the sock cupcake you made! I am a teacher and would LOVE to get a handmade treat like this! In fact, I think I'm going to make some for the staff at my school!! Thanks for the idea!

Alayna Howard,  said... February 14, 2011 at 3:25 AM

I am your newest follower and I would be honored if you would link up your totally cute blog on my blog stalkin' page.

Louisa,  said... February 14, 2011 at 7:23 AM

What a great idea to use a coffee cozy as sock cupcake holder!

Sarah Marie Kathleen,  said... February 14, 2011 at 10:06 AM

I am so excited to try this idea for my sister. I have seen baby gifts turned into cupcakes but I wanted something for an adult. This is perfect, thanks!

Tanyia,  said... February 14, 2011 at 12:33 PM

oh em gee! This sock cupcake is too cute!!

I am stopping by from Market Yourself Monday, at Sumo's I would love to have you check out my project! http://xsurvivingmotherhoodx.blogspot.com/2011/02/quilted-coasters.html

Jennifer,  said... February 14, 2011 at 3:53 PM

You have the best ideas - I completely forgot about teacher Valentine's - UGH!
Jennifer
www.bigdandme.com

Cowgirl Crafter,  said... February 14, 2011 at 9:32 PM

I love the sock cupcake! Absolutely adorable!

www.ilove2stampandscrap.blogspot.com

Anne's Vinyl and so much more,  said... February 15, 2011 at 3:19 AM

Love the sock cupcakes!! I am a new follower love all your ideas.
Stopping by from Anne's Vinyl would love for you to visit. www.annesvinyl.blogspot.com

Doreen,  said... February 15, 2011 at 10:37 AM

I bought these socks also -- when they were marked down to $1.87 each! I wish I would've seen this last week, cause I just sent these adorable scented socks to my daughter and her roommates in college! Next year...also like your choc covered marshmallow skewers. New follower also!
htp://altered-artworks.blogspot.com

Brittany,  said... February 15, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Oh my goodness. How do you get all this done? All of these are so cute. I love that your daughters want to do their own ideas rather than use the store-bought Valentines. You've taught them well!

Laurel {Make and Takes},  said... February 15, 2011 at 1:41 PM

How adorable are those sock cupcakes?! I'd love for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight over at http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

Kim @ seven thirty three,  said... February 16, 2011 at 9:45 AM

HE HE! You linked this to my blog AND I'm the one you got it from. :) http://733blog.blogspot.com/2011/01/sock-cupcake-tutorial.html

I love the addition of the cupcake topper - so cute!

Thanks for linking with Sugar & Spice.

Cheryl @ Sew Can Do,  said... February 16, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Love these ideas - lucky teachers! Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday:)

Tiff,  said... February 16, 2011 at 1:48 PM

OMG!!! I love the cupcake project! What an easy quick gift! I'll have to store this idea in my computer for next year!

Crafty Carrie,  said... February 17, 2011 at 7:45 AM

Wow you were busy this valentine's day with all your project. Each one is fantastic on it own. I have made the sock cupcakes before and they are great. Your cookies were so cute

Megan,  said... February 17, 2011 at 9:33 PM

so cute! I LOVE the sock cupcakes!

megan
craftycpa.blogspot.com

Chrissie,  said... February 17, 2011 at 10:17 PM

I love that! I'd do it just for play cupcakes in the play kitchen. The ones I made looked more like cylinders than actual cupcakes

Kristen @ ladybug-blessings.com,  said... February 18, 2011 at 1:12 AM

ah I love how you put the coffee cozy around it too!! I have never seen that!!

Sachiko,  said... February 18, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I love the cupcake idea, it's just so awesome! Thank you for sharing!

Jen,  said... February 20, 2011 at 12:17 AM

Still loving the cupcakes! I featured them on my blog today, feel free to check it out!

D O M O !,  said... February 20, 2011 at 5:12 AM

Hi! I found you on Made By You Mondays. I think your sock cupcakes are darling! :D

Mormishmom @ Funky PolkaDot Giraffe,  said... February 21, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I love your sock/cozy cupcake idea. I spotlighted it on Saturday!

Katie's Nesting Spot,  said... February 23, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Really cute idea, I love that you packaged them in cup cozies! Thank you for joining us at A Crafty Soiree, I featured you in tomorrow's post.

Fun On a Dime Lady,  said... February 24, 2011 at 1:07 AM

I love it! That totally turned out cute and since I love to give funky socks, this would totally work!

Sunghee,  said... February 24, 2011 at 9:05 PM

what a fab idea! Love the sock cupcakes especially. WOW!!! Got here from Katie's Nesting Spot.

THE BIG SCOOP,  said... May 22, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Very cute!! The sock cupcake, lady bug cookies, and marshmallow sweets, The rocket ship valentines mail box was awesome the rest were all amazing ideas, also love Alison's regular mail box with the uber cute cupcake wrapping paper. but I must ask where did u get those super cute gift bags at the very top! (very first pic u posted) I love owls and cupcakes!

Tammy @ she wears flowers,  said... May 23, 2011 at 9:19 AM

@The Big Scoop: Thank you!! I got those bags at Target around Valentine's Day--in the dollar section. I thought they were adorable, too, and considered buying 50, but only bought 2 in the end. It wouldn't be hard to dress up a plain bag, though, with something similar. Good luck! ;)