Monday, January 24, 2011

It’s My Birthday!

Yes, it really is! And, I’d like to share some cake with you!
Felt Cake 4
This cake is a project that has been several years in the making. I started with these little cakes. (Like those “before” pictures with no make up to make it look even worse!)
Felt Cake 11
I wanted to be able to change the frosting as well as add cake embellishments, but I never really got around to improving my project because I didn’t like the way it turned out in the beginning. Besides, there was no way my little girls would be able to change the frosting “clothes” on that foam. Although, they did put on lots of embellishments that were kept in this plain box—and never seemed to really stay in the box—even when it was all cleaned up.

Felt Cake 12

So, I‘ve been working on a cake—a good cake. And, now I've got it. You can change the frosting to different “flavors.” This one stores all of the stuff for you. And, you can decorate the cake and walk around with the cake without everything falling off!

My birthday present to myself is to post something that doesn’t include a tutorial! I am going to share the how-to with you this week, but I will share it in parts so I can work on it a little at a time at my own pace instead of having a huge project going on like I do most of the time.

So, happy birthday to me!

Here’s a sneak peek of more cake…

Felt Cake 2

Felt Cake 7

Felt Cake 6
While they turned out much more “perfect” than the real thing, tonight I will be happily be eating the “ugly” cake because I value the taste way more than the presentation!!
Felt Cake 1

I'm linking to THESE link parties (or check out my sidebar!)

Prudence,  said... January 24, 2011 at 11:41 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Hope you have a wonderful day and the cakes are cute! I love cake!

Two Shades of Pink,  said... January 24, 2011 at 11:44 AM

HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! And I can not say enough praise about your awesome cake! I have a complete crush on anything felt anyway and I just LOVE IT! Can't wait to see more of the details but really this cake is awesome!

Andrew,  said... January 24, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Happy Birthday! Your felt cake turned out perfectly. I hope you enjoy the "tasty" cake!

Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry,  said... January 24, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Happy Birthday! ...and I want CAKE... I can't wait for your tutorial... Super CUTE!

Jennifer,  said... January 24, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Happy Birthday...hope you get spoiled and loved on today! Love your little cakes
Jennifer
www.bigdandme.com

amy@flexibledreams,  said... January 24, 2011 at 7:29 PM

I am SUPER impressed! I've made a felt cake before and it pales in comparison. Nice work!!

Chrissie,  said... January 24, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Beautiful!! I bought foam to do this but keep shuffling it to the bottom of my to-do list because I'm not sure how I want to go about it!

Nancy's Couture,  said... January 24, 2011 at 11:24 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! I hope you had a wonderful day! I can't wait to see how you made the felt cake! I have been wanting to make one for my girl for a while!

Chelsea,  said... January 25, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Happy birthday!! Love the cakes and the embellishment idea! can't wait to see the tute! Thanks for stopping by and commenting on the blog! www.acreativemomma.blogspot.com

Brittany,  said... January 25, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Happy birthday! I love the way the pink cake looks with the strawberries. I like the frosting, too. That trim would look cute on a lot of things!

Shannon,  said... January 25, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Happy Birthday! I absolutely LOVE these cakes! They are so cute and creative - I love all the details.

Malory,  said... January 26, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I LOVE this! So cute! I love sewing, and decorating real cakes, so this is something I can really get behind. You are so clever. I am definitely following, so I can see the tutorial.

Malory

Judy,  said... January 26, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Happy Birthday. Your cake turned out really awesome. I linked over from Blue Cricket Design. I am your latest follower. I would love for you to come and check out my blog at www.diybydesign.blogspot.com. Thanks.

Alison,  said... January 26, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Happy (late) birthday!! And this tutorial is darling!! I may have to try this out!!

Kristen @ ladybug-blessings.com,  said... January 26, 2011 at 9:55 PM

ah this is adorable!! I LOVE this!! Thanks so much for coming and linking up to handmade tuesdays @ ladybug blessings!! Make sure to come by tomorrow for a giveaway!! :) Oh & Happy Belated Birthday!!

The Loops,  said... January 26, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Wow, this immediately caught my eye on the blog hop! I am your newest follower! I'd love for you to follow back!

Anna @ The Imagination Tree,  said... January 28, 2011 at 12:35 PM

This is just so fabulous!I found you through ABC and 123. Thanks for the inspiration to get sewing!

AmieAnn,  said... January 29, 2011 at 7:26 AM

These are soo adorable! Love that each one has its own personality.. Thanks for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party!

Christina @ The Tattered Tag,  said... January 29, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Hi, I featured your yummy felt cake for Souper Saturday & Other Treats...just for sweet fun. Happy B-lated B-Day! Stop by and grab a button.

creativejewishmom.com,  said... January 30, 2011 at 2:50 AM

I'm in love with your felt cake! Really great, and so happy you dropped by to share this project on Craft Schooling Sunday. Quite a few years ago I made a cake costume for a friend with a hatbox that I turned into a cake....she wore it on her head, though not so comfortable it certainly was an attention getter!
Maybe a soft felt version like this one would be great!

Lei,  said... February 1, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Oh my goodness... I love this. I was wondering about making a felt cake with removable stuff for my little girl to play with. Your is just so, so gorge!!!

hungryhippie,  said... February 7, 2011 at 6:03 AM

My fabric cakes look terrible-yours are so GORGEOUS!!! Will you make a tutorial pretty plllleeeeaassseeee...?? :o)
no pressure!
So glad I spotted you-at the Girl Creative linky.
Following you for more goodness.
Happy bday!
natalie

Jason and Danielle,  said... March 15, 2011 at 1:22 AM

Oh my goodness what a fabulous idea for a little girl to play with. I love it! Your blog is seriously so dang cute. I love all your ideas. I definitely am one of your new followers.