Friday, November 12, 2010

I'm a Creative Guest!

You can find me at Ucreate sharing a tutorial today. So exciting!!
Be sure to head on over to find out how to make these charming
turkey placemats
 with little pockets for the silverware.

Placemats 35 copy

Pottery Barn had something similar to this in their fall catalog several years ago. A friend asked me to help her make them. I declined and told her it was well worth the money to just buy them. Slacker, I know!

A couple of years later, after moving across the country, I was asked again--by a new friend--to make them. I decided it was time to figure out how to do it. So I did and shared it with a group of women from church. Unfortunately, I was so busy getting my example placemat together that I never finished my set. Then I had another baby and I was one short anyhow.

Finally, I just had to get it all together so I made a real tutorial for it!

Now mine are (nearly) finished!
Placemats 30
Don’t forget to check out the tutorial to make those cute little pilgrims, too!
Several people have told me the painting looked complicated but, trust me,
I made it EASY for you.

It is not difficult at all—especially if you know me!

Two Shades of Pink,  said... November 12, 2010 at 7:55 AM

How stinkin' cute are these? You are just too good. BTW, sorry it has been so long since I popped in with a comment....but I have have been reading all your amazingly crafty posts!

Nancy's Couture,  said... November 12, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Very cute! Great minds think alike. I'm working on something very similar!

Jennifer,  said... November 12, 2010 at 11:06 AM

OK, I love these!!!! I want to make them, but when I click on the link to download the pattern, it says the page is not available. Is there another way to get to them?

Thanks so much!

she wears flowers,  said... November 12, 2010 at 12:46 PM

PATTERN DOWNLOAD ISSUES: This is a Google Document that is 10 pages long. The long ones seem to require you to be signed in to Google to get them. I am working on making the individual pages available if you are unable to get the entire document or do not have a Google Account.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

she wears flowers,  said... November 12, 2010 at 1:02 PM

PATTERN LINK UPDATE:

Please cut & paste this new link into your browser. This one should work for you.

kirstikoo,  said... November 15, 2010 at 2:01 AM

I would love for you to link your tutorial post from ucreate on my Thanksgiving Link-up!!
www.kirstikoo.blogspot.com
SO CUTE!!

AmieAnn,  said... November 15, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Oh my Gosh! I am totally in LOVE with these! Thank you Sooo much for linking these up to my Pink Hippo Party.. Can't wait to see what you come up with next week!

creativejewishmom.com,  said... November 16, 2010 at 5:07 AM

wow, what a great project! maybe those that don't celebrate thanksgiving could make a peacock pocket placemat? how great would that be? thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday, great to see you!

AmieAnn,  said... November 16, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Love your blog! And I gave you a blog award.. come claim your prize @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2010/11/we-have-winner-and-award.html

Misty,  said... November 17, 2010 at 12:14 AM

Oooh....I LOVE it!! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

Aplanalps,  said... November 17, 2010 at 7:25 AM

I have a quick question...what stitch did you use to sew around the beak and wattle. I can't figure out how to make it look like that. ;)

she wears flowers,  said... November 17, 2010 at 7:49 AM

APLANALPS--Use a zigzag stitch, but change your stitch length to almost 0. This will keep the stitches close together to make a "satin" stitch. You will have to play with the width of the stitch until you find a width you like. I always practice on a scrap of fabric first.

Alison,  said... November 23, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Tammy, this is so incredibly cute!! Pottery Barn, look out! I love the pockets to put in spoons, forks, etc. It's genius!!

Ashlee @ I'm Topsy Turvy,  said... November 24, 2010 at 3:12 AM

this turned out amazing! And congrats on getting a tutorial on U-create. I love this place mat! I wish I had time to make it for this year! I missed posting Topsy Turvy Tuesday's this week, but I'll be featuring this next week! It's just gorgeous. Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's!