Monday, October 4, 2010

Lots of Halloween Silhouettes

I've had this one in my mind for a while now.
I had no idea how much I was going to love it when it was done, though!

Last year, I made a bunch of these.(I found this idea HERE.)

I love, love, love silhouettes and have forever so this totally worked for me. I wanted more, though - more, more, more silhouettes. This year's idea just sprung up from last year's Halloween project. I love it when that happens!

Materials:Halloween Canvas1
9 mini canvasses – 3 inches square
11 3/4 square board (1/4 inch thick)
black paint
newspaper
Mod Podge
9 silhouettes (just do a Google search--there are tons!
sponge brushes
hot glue gun
ribbon

Instructions:
{1} Cut several 3 inch long strips of newspaper. Cut 18 strips that are 3 inches x 1 inch.  Halloween Canvas2
{2} Paint the board black. Be sure to cover the edges and one side completely. I used “hardboard” for this. It is a really cheap board and works perfectly for this project. Halloween Canvas8
{3} Use Mod Podge to glue the small strips of newspaper to one side of the canvas. It should cover the edge and wrap around the top of the canvas.Halloween Canvas3
If the edge of the newspaper is just a little longer than the canvas, you can gently fold it in and glue it down. This works really well since the Mod Podge gets the paper “wet” and the newspaper is so thin. It will look something like this:
Halloween Canvas5
Repeat on the opposite side. I didn’t worry about which direction the printing was facing, but you can match it if you want to.
Halloween Canvas4
{4} Take the long 3 inch strips of newspaper and wrap them around the canvas from the top edge to the bottom edge covering the rest of the canvas. I just left the newspaper a little longer than both edges and glued it to the wood on the back after I trimmed it closer to the actual size.
Halloween Canvas6
{5}  Adhere silhouettes to each canvas. I used my Silhouette paper cutter to cut vinyl for this, but I know another way to do this using your printer and no cutting.

I used to get so frustrated when people did projects with a paper/vinyl cutter because I didn't have one and I don't live in a place where vinyl products are easily accessible. So, I learned a whole bunch of tricks. Stick with me, I've got you covered!

If you do not have access to a cutting machine, you can print the silhouettes on vellum paper. Cut around the shape in a 3 inch square very precisely. You can Mod Podge the vellum right to the newsprint. The newsprint will look a little frosted when you use vellum, but it doesn’t take away from the project in any way! You can Mod Podge over the printing, but be sure your printer ink is very dry before you do this.
Halloween Canvas7
{6} Mod Podge over the entire thing and let dry completely. Add another coat of Mod Podge if you would like. (I always do—it just seems to work better!)

{7} Use a pencil to lightly mark where you will glue each canvas. You will place them with about 1/2 inch (a little less) between each canvas and 5/8 inch around the whole thing (like a margin). I marked where I would place each corner so I could line the whole thing up. It doesn’t show up in a picture so you’ll just have to understand what I am explaining! You could also set your center piece and line up from there just eyeballing the whole thing.

{8} Hot glue (if you want it quick like I always do) your canvasses in place. If you are worried about lining it up before the glue dries, try another glue. My other favorite glue is E-6000. Wood glue would work fine since you are gluing wood to wood and I bet Elmer’s glue would work perfectly, too. This is easy!

I love the statement this piece makes with the stark colors and the "grunge" of the newsprint.

If you would like to soften it up just a bit, add a fluffy ribbon.

You could also add a picture hanger to the back or a ribbon to hang it with.
 I like the way it looks just sitting on a table easel. I'm pretty simple!
I'm linking HERE this week.

Visit thecsiproject.com

Shanarun,  said... October 4, 2010 at 1:54 PM

This is pretty awesome! I love working with canvas. Best of all, This idea could adapt to any season. Going to definitely tuck this under my hat!

Tony and Kimra,  said... October 5, 2010 at 1:09 AM

looks amazing! I want one!

Kimra

Kristy,  said... October 5, 2010 at 1:10 PM

They look really great! I'm going to have to try and make some. Thank you!

Steoger Fam,  said... October 6, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Sooo cute! I want to do this one. OH...fall colors with different leafs! I'm doing it this weekend!

Kathleen,  said... October 6, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Love your collage, it turned out so cute. Great minds think alike (ha ha), since I just posted a silhouette blog for Halloween, too!
Thanks for sharing your talent and ideas!
Kathleen

Melissa,  said... October 6, 2010 at 5:41 PM

This is so cute! I'm your newest follower

Melissa

Melissa,  said... October 6, 2010 at 10:43 PM

This could be personalized and modified in many ways - very classy...

Noelle,  said... October 7, 2010 at 1:43 AM

I love Halloween, I love silhouettes and I love your style! I am definitely doing this project! Thanks for the inspiration.

Sanditerese,  said... October 7, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I love this! I was just trying to come up with a large item for my mantel and this is perfect. I'm going to have to make one this weekend.

Sanditerese,  said... October 7, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Courtney McAulay,  said... October 7, 2010 at 1:08 PM

I totally dig this! It's so cute and easy to do! I would just love it if you would come over to Crazy Cute at Between U & Me and share this with everyone! :)

www.betweenuandme.com

Maridith @ Strictly Homemade,  said... October 7, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Super clever. What a statement too!! Glad to see someone else doing a craft without a Cricut!! It motivates those who don't own one!! Thanks!!

Kimberly,  said... October 7, 2010 at 2:59 PM

saw this in the fireflies and jelly beans linky.

Love it! I may have to try this!

Staci J,  said... October 7, 2010 at 3:05 PM

You did a fabulous job!! i LOVE the newspaper behind the art:)
I'm going to feature this on my blog tomorrow for friday favorites...
come grab a button if you'd like:)
justsewsassy.com
Also, I'm looking for talented ladies to sponser giveaways on my blog this month and wondered if you'd be interested????
Let me know, thanks so much
staci@justsewsassy.com

Meg,  said... October 7, 2010 at 4:05 PM

So cute! What a fun project! I love silhouettes, too. I'm going to try this out!

Mandy,  said... October 7, 2010 at 6:29 PM

LOVE this one! What a great project! Wonder if I still have time to copy you...

Erin @ Crafts and Sutch,  said... October 7, 2010 at 10:26 PM

I love this!

Stopping by from F&J! Hope you'll swing by Crafts & Sutch when you get a chance and take a peek at what I've been up to. :)

Have a good weekend!
Erin

Colleen @ MuralMaker&More,  said... October 7, 2010 at 11:43 PM

I love those mini canvases! I'd never thought about using newspaper for background. Hope you don't mind if I 'borrow' your idea.

It's a fantastic grouping!

Would love for you to stop by Sunday and link up to Passion for Paint!

Sophia Luksana,  said... October 8, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Awesome! I love those mini cavases, very creative and beautiful. If you want to swap craft blog, check out on www.makemania.com I've done similar stuff and you can take a look at mine. Hop on and share your idea!

michelle,  said... October 8, 2010 at 12:56 PM

I love it! How creative to use newspaper. Saw you at Frou Frou Decor and had to stop by and let you know that I just adore this!

Leslie,  said... October 9, 2010 at 3:31 PM

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!! I can not wait to do this!!! Thanks for the tutorial.

I am your newest follower and I'm so excited I found you. You can find me at www.thechicuniquery.blogpsot.com

Leslie,  said... October 9, 2010 at 3:32 PM

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!! I can not wait to do this!!! Thanks for the tutorial.

Shannon,  said... October 10, 2010 at 1:32 AM

Tammy you never cease to amaze me! Your latest idea is so clever. What a great idea! LOVE IT!

Ashlee @ I'm Topsy Turvy,  said... October 10, 2010 at 1:38 AM

gorgeous! It looks terrific! And the newspaper is a great effect! Brilliant. I'll be featuring this on Monday! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's.

Laura @ Ms Smartie Pants,  said... October 10, 2010 at 2:31 AM

I love this, it's so cool! I'm gonna have to come up with a place to do one, maybe I will do one for Christmas! Great idea!!!

Lori,  said... October 10, 2010 at 10:56 AM

I just love your Silhouette! I am planning on making one this week...that is after my NEW SILHOUETTE arrives tomorrow afternoon! I took a real good look at your newspaper and had to laugh because I noticed that we are from the same area, but I live in Milford. Thanks for a great idea!

this blessed nest,  said... October 10, 2010 at 3:30 PM

wow. too too cool!!!!

pretty please with lots of sugar link this up to my silhouette party on wed the 13th.

this is fantastic!!!

have a great weekend.
kellie

Casey Lu,  said... October 10, 2010 at 3:48 PM

This is a very cute idea! The Silhouettes look so very similar to the company Silhouette (the cutting machine) cuts that they have online, especially the swirly lamp post bat one, I bet that was hard to cut out by hand!! I use my Silhouette cutter for those flourish ones. Thanks for sharing.

she wears flowers,  said... October 10, 2010 at 4:17 PM

PLEASE NOTE: These ARE silhouettes from the Silhouette company which is why I didn't include a printable for readers--these are copyrighted images. In my post I stated that I cut mine out of vinyl using my Silhouette cutter. Those flourishes would have pushed my hand-cutting skills over the limit! ;)

As I explained in my post, you don't have to own a paper cutter to make great silhouettes. I have cut many by hand in lots of other projects and I described an easy way to do it in this post for those who aren't using a paper cutter. Enjoy your project whichever way you choose to cut out your silhouettes!

Suzy,  said... October 11, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Love the idea of newspaper in the background. Very nice!

Come link up to my Commercial Break Linky party and promote your blog! http://suzysartsycraftsysitcom.blogspot.com/2010/10/commercial-break-thursday-promote.html
suzy

katskraps4kids,  said... October 11, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Oh I just love this too! Another one to add to my own growing list...this one'll have to be sooner than later tho, cuz I just am crazy over it! =0)

Casey Lu,  said... October 12, 2010 at 2:07 AM

LOL, see here I thought you had the mad skill with the scissors! I didn't read this post right, I thought you did cut them out by hand, lol. I also have a Silhouette and love it! Thanks for sharing this darling craft! I will definitely be coming back for inspiration! Keep up the awesome work!

Jen @ lil Mop Top,  said... October 13, 2010 at 5:14 AM

So cute! Thanks for the tip of using vellum for us non-cutter-owning people! :)

Sherry,  said... October 13, 2010 at 3:02 PM

This is very cool. You did a wonderful job on this. What a great statement it makes.
Sherry

this blessed nest,  said... October 13, 2010 at 4:22 PM

AGAIN, may i say how totally awesome this is!!!!

thanks for linking up to the silhouette party!

have a wonderful day!
kellie

The Mustard Seed,  said... October 13, 2010 at 5:33 PM

THIS IS SO STINKIN CUTE! Thanks for sharing this tutorial. I want to make one NOW!

Happy Fall,
Angel

KM @ This Plate is Full,  said... October 13, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Thats a very cute idea! I like the way you have displayed the final project too!

Yvonne @ StoneGable,  said... October 15, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Tammy, Hi I'm Yvonne@ StoneGable. I found you through the silhouette party. I did not participate this time, but I sure am enjoying all the fabulous creativity going on!!!
Your project is beyond creative and fun. I can think of so many possibilities.
YOur instructions were so easy to understand and the pictures are perfect!
So fun to visit you today.
Yvonne

Aunt Peg,  said... October 15, 2010 at 3:23 PM

I love this idea! Thank you for sharing it with us!
I would love to re-post this as a feature on my blog with your permission.
Amber

Sawdust and Paperscraps,  said... October 15, 2010 at 10:00 PM

I am so copying this idea. Only I'll make mine a little different and of course give you credit for the idea! :-)

Nike@ChooseToThrive,  said... October 16, 2010 at 6:41 PM

I love this idea! I've been looking for something new and fun this year to do with the kiddos - thanks!

Sawdust and Paperscraps,  said... October 18, 2010 at 10:21 AM

I spotlighted this post today. Sorry about the confusing emails. I'm a bit scatterbrained sometimes. :-)

elsabags,  said... October 19, 2010 at 2:28 AM

love this!

could you tell me where you bought your haunted house silhouette?

we are going to do something like this for our D.I.Y. club

she wears flowers,  said... October 19, 2010 at 7:49 AM

Elsa--All of the silhouettes came from the Silhouette (Craft Robo) company and are designed to be used with the Silhouette cutting machine.

PhotoDivaJ,  said... October 21, 2010 at 8:55 PM

What a BOO-tiful IDEA! I absolutely cannot wait to make a set for myself. Thank you for the idea, and inspiration. Happy Halloween

Courtney,  said... October 29, 2010 at 11:38 PM

This is so great! I love it! Thanks so much for linking it up for my party!

Courtney
scrapsnscribs.blogspot.com

Miss Shiu,  said... October 21, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Hi,

I'm an EFL teacher in Taiwan. I just saw your post and really love this great idea!! Actually, me and my friends really enjoy reading your blog and appreciating your creative teaching ideas. I am wondering if it is welcome that I share this "Halloween silhouettes" idea on my facebook page with a photo and a direct link to your blog with other EFL teachers?? It will certainly inspire most of them!

best,
Kate

Iwillusethat,  said... October 27, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Love it! I've linked to this in my blog. Thank you for the tutorial :)

Iwillusethat,  said... October 27, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Love it! I've linked to this in my blog. Thank you for the tutorial :)