Monday, October 25, 2010

Halloween Potty Training--I mean Project

I know.
I said check back later.
And, it is much later.
I was really thinking this afternoon.
Now, it will be tomorrow.
Let me explain...

My three-year-old is the only child in her nursery class at church who isn't potty-trained. And she has a huge class. We've tried to encourage her in every way you could think of without pushing. Last night, for reasons I can't explain, I pushed just a teeny, tiny bit. Okay, it was a lot. I forced her to sit on the toilet after discovering that she is scared she is going to fall in.
I know what you're thinking.
You think I am so mean, but you need a little information before you judge.

My older daughters were very small for their age. When they learned to use the toilet, both of them--on separate incidents--fell into the toilet. And, just for the record, it isn't really falling, it is more like collapsing in the middle. And it is SO funny! Yep, I laughed--a lot. They were fine and didn't even freak out too much. Along comes my youngest and she is kind of large--giant, really. There is no chance this child could fall in the toilet. Nope, not going to happen. Not even if she tried.

So, yes, I forced her to sit on the toilet. First forcibly and then with bribery. And she likes it. The bribery that is. She likes the panties, too. Loves the panties. Loves them so much she has had almost all of them on today. One after the other. Right after she went to the bathroom on our new carpeting. In several places. All day long.

I forgot how hard potty training is for ME.
What was I thinking?

Here's a sneak peek at the project I have for you. Tomorrow--when the tutorial is ready. And that will only happen if my youngest is wearing a diaper. I think we can potty train another day, right?
post signature

Sawdust and Paperscraps,  said... October 25, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Oh the joys of potty training! I can't tell you how many times I had to take the lining out of the car seat to wash out the pee! Yeah, the joys!!!

Good luck. With the potty training and the tutorial.

Nancy's Couture,  said... October 25, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Hahaha!!!! Falling in the potty. My sweet girl has done it a few times already. You can't help but laugh! We just started potty training her too.

Kimberly,  said... October 25, 2010 at 10:23 PM

I HATE POTTY TRAINING!!! I have been trying and trying with my son for MONTHS now - MONTHS!! I have half a mind to give up completely and just let him wear diapers until he's 16 and getting made fun of.

Strictly Sewing,  said... October 25, 2010 at 10:32 PM

I'm not judging when asking this but don't you have a potty seat to go on top of the toilet so they don't fall in? I am in the process of potty training are second daughter at 22 mos. This was instigated on her own because big sister does it. My oldest was similar to your current situation. They say, "Wait till they're ready" but she never showed any interest so I had to force her as well. I couldn't handle her STINKY diapers anymore. We gave her a sticker for each time she successfully went potty and then after so many times she got a prize that she picked out. We left it on top of the toilet as reminder (a carebear DVD). That's what worked for her. Every kid is different and it really is work for mom. All of those accidents to clean up, watching the clock every 15-30 minutes. Good Luck! Someone once told me that you don't put on your college application or job resume when you were potty trained so it doesn't matter. That made me feel more relaxed about the whole ordeal of potty training.

lorchick @ ON{thelaundry}LINE,  said... October 25, 2010 at 11:22 PM

when i potty trained my oldest I told my husband I'll go through labour again no problem, but HE is doing the potty traning next time. LOL. Oh man what a headache. My daughter reacted best to just being naked from the waist down with a potty in the middle of the room. She refused to even sit on the toilet/potty, but when i left her half naked she panicked and sat on the potty when she had to pee. :) couple days of that and she was good to go! Aaaand then we tore out the carpet.

Prudence,  said... October 27, 2010 at 3:11 PM

I am in the midst of this too, and I HATE potty training!! My little girl turned 3 in august. and she refuses to use the toilet! has no desire to wear panties. loves her diapers. She is my 5th and I just don't remember how I did the others? Iknow none of them were trained till they were 3 1/2 so I guess I have a few more months.