Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Charmed, I’m Sure!

I saw an adorable little gift box at a pricey little craft store and it had a pricey little price tag, too. I'm not big on pricey so I made my own little charm box instead. Charm Box44

I headed straight to the Dollar Store and bought 2 small boxes for $1. These are so easy to make and, when you make it yourself, you can customize it so many different ways.

Lots of possibilities with this one and I do like options!

Materials:
paint
sponge brush
pictures to fit the top of the box (I got mine HERE and THIS is another great spot.)
raffia and/or ribbon
Mod Podge
nail file

Instructions:
Paint the box and the lid using a sponge brush.
For a weathered look, don’t use too much paint.  Charm Box11

Use the nail file to sand off the paint on the corners and a little across the surface of the sides of the box.Charm Box33

Adhere your picture using Mod Podge and let it dry completely.
Charm Box22

Mod Podge around the whole lid and box.

I actually used glossy Mod Podge on the lid and matte Mod Podge on the box because I liked the contrast. The lid is shiny and smooth and the box is weathered looking. I also think shimmer Mod Podge would be excellent for this, but I haven't found that in my local stores yet. ;(

Add a ribbon and you are done with your little charm box.
Charm Box44

You can fill your box with any little goodies you would like or use it as a decoration.

What a fun little gift.

I found these so charming that I made a few more:

Now you go make some charming little charm boxes! Perfect for all kinds of things. And you can’t beat the price for this charming little gift box!

Linking HERE this week.

Hannah,  said... October 13, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Love this idea! I think I might use this for wrapping Christmas presents this year & hopefully save on some wrapping paper!

Márcia Chaves,  said... October 13, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Your box looks wonderful!! I like doing this kind of stuff. I do lots of them. I want to give you a tip (if you don`t mind). Paint your box in dark ble. While it's still wet, press a piece of old jeans on its surface. Wnen it dries, it looks like made of jeans. Can you understand my poor english?? If you want a phota, take a look at this picture on my daughter`s blog. http://artecomamor-lojinha.blogspot.com/2010/08/caixa-jeans-coracao.html

Hugs from Brasil,

Márcia
www.loucapramudar.blogspot.com

Nancy's Couture,  said... October 13, 2010 at 10:41 AM

LOVE IT!!!! I will be doing this to put some charming Christmas presents in this year :0)

Two Shades of Pink,  said... October 13, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Ohhhhh...I love this! And so simple. But I like it best because it is USEFUL! You will be my go-to this Christmas!

Melissa,  said... October 13, 2010 at 1:42 PM

This is super cute!

Melissa

Melissa,  said... October 13, 2010 at 11:50 PM

Oh they are perfect! You did great! I've seen those pricey ones, and like you walked away. Thanks for sharing, I am definitely going to the dollar store tomorrow!

Suzy,  said... October 14, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Perfect for little gifties! Thanks for linking up to Suzy's Artsy Craftsy Sitcom Commercial Break!

suzy

Melissa,  said... October 14, 2010 at 11:25 AM

You are really blowing my mind. I'm impressed with all your fun things. All I do is read now.

On another note, there's a good chance that we are moving to Ohio within the next 6 months or so. We'd only be 3 hours from you, so we'll have to get together.

Katie's Nesting Spot,  said... October 20, 2010 at 12:38 AM

So happy to see you at A Crafty Soiree! The weathered look is such a nice touch and I agree those cute little trinket boxes are SO expensive at boutiques! Good think you know how to make a better version, on a budget:) Thanks for sharing and looking forward to seeing you next time too:)

*Jeana*,  said... September 28, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Super cute..love it..Would love for you to share at my "Creative Halloween Party"