Monday, September 20, 2010

It’s Creeping Up!

Halloween seems far away to me, but maybe that is wishful thinking! We went to the raspberry farm and picked so many delicious raspberries last week. On the way out, there were also pumpkins for sale. I tried to ignore them, but my daughter was adamant. So, now I have to get up to speed!
Spider Plate201
This Spider Serving Plate is so easy to make and I love the way it looks! It works best to make these over a period of 2 or 3 days so the glue can dry completely. Mine was made at nighttime so please bear with my pictures! Here’s what you need to do to make one yourself.

Materials
black bowl and plate (Mine are Target’s super cheap melamSpider Plate1ine dishes)
E6000 Glue
small scrap black construction paper
large moveable eyes
black chenille sticks (“pipe cleaners”)

Instructions
[1] Cut a circle out of the construction paper that is the same size as the bottom of the bowl.
Spider Plate4[2] Fill the bottom of the bowl with glue—don’t go overboard, though, because it will easily squish out to the edges.
[3] Put the ends of the pipe cleaners into the glue with 4 sticking out of each side. Set the construction paper over this to hold it all in place. Weight it down with a glass or full can of spray paint. I also put a heavy book on top of that to help hold it all together. Let sit overnight to make sure the glue is really dry.
Spider Plate2 Spider Plate3 [4] Glue the plate to the bowl. The easiest way to do this it to put a thin line of glue around the edge of the bottom of the bowl. Aim the glue towards the inside so the glue doesn’t squish all over the outside of the bowl once you put the two pieces together. Place something heavy on it and let dry overnight.Spider Plate7 [5] Bend the spider legs into the desired shape. I did all of the bending first and then went back and cut the “feet” to the right length.
 Spider Plate5 Spider Plate6
[6] Glue on the eyes. Let dry overnight.

Spider Plate - side
Add your treats  and enjoy!
Spider Plate Cookies 2 copy
(These are one-eyed cookies in case you are wondering!)

Just be sure you don’t put your spider plate in the dishwasher—
hand wash only!

I'm linking HERE this week.

except for drying time! ;)

Nancy's Couture,  said... September 20, 2010 at 11:53 AM

What a great idea! It is so cute!
I'm not feeling Halloween yet either. Maybe if I make one of these it will get me in gear!

Red Couch Recipes,  said... September 20, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Your night shots are great! Love the idea and if I am not wrong, you could make this with a ceramic plate too because of the base. Love it...I would like to add it to my Halloween repertoire. Joni

Erin,  said... September 20, 2010 at 12:26 PM

I love this!!! How totally clever. Can't wait to make this!

www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

Swedie,  said... September 20, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Your spider plate is a super cute idea! I'm going to add it to my Halloween page: www.craftlinky.com

Sheila Irish,  said... September 20, 2010 at 3:34 PM

This is absolutely adorable! I want to make this AND would love to make your one eyed cookies to serve on it....

Michelle,  said... September 21, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Adorable and easy! I'll be featuring it on Everyday Celebrating this week!

Erin,  said... September 21, 2010 at 11:24 AM

so super cute! i love it. i definitely need to make one. thanks!!

Lorie,  said... September 22, 2010 at 4:11 PM

I love it! I am going to be featuring it on my blog tomorrow!

I have that exact same cake stand (that I made for my daughters 1st birthday with a black melanin plate and bowl from Target when I couldn't find a black cake plate that didn't cost a fortune! I have since found a black cake plate that I love and that one isn't used, but now I am going to resurrect it!!

Thanks you for the fabulous idea!!

Army Wife Quilter,  said... September 22, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Great plate. I love it. I love it. My husband loves it. He is looking over my shoulder. happy halloween

The Davis Family Three,  said... September 23, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Love it! I know what will be on my next Target list... thanks for sharing!

melissa * 320 Sycamore,  said... September 24, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Spooky and spectacular! My kids would LOVE this and now I really, really want a sugar cookie with green frosting :) Thanks so much for joining in the fun with us~happy weekend!

Cheryl,  said... September 26, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Very festive & my kids would love eating treats off this. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday.

Sophia Luksana,  said... October 8, 2010 at 10:13 AM

I must say spactacular!! Terrific idea! I'm into Halloweem craft projects. I did Halloween spooky cat puppet origami. There is easy to follow step on my bolg www.makemania.com and feel free to share your awesome idea!