Monday, August 16, 2010

Sweet & Simple Bird Art

I have been organizing all of my want-to-do-this projects--you know the pages you rip out of magazines and the patterns or ideas you find here and there. The excitement of making these things loses its sizzle when it sits around too long, but can easily be renewed when it is "found" again. So, here's another Pottery Barn Kids knock-off.

The PB bird is made out of metal and is pretty large (24in x16in), but it looks like plain ol' scrapbook paper to me so that is the direction I took it. I also didn't care if it was magnetic--I don't really need another location for my children to stick their junk! So, I made a simple wall decoration that is smaller and just as sweet!

Materials:
cardstock
Mod Podge
distressing inks or chalks
foam core board
scissors
X-acto knife
bird pattern (fits on 8.5in x 11in paper)
ribbon
picture hanger

Instructions:
[1] Trace the pattern onto the back of scrapbook paper and foam core board. Be sure to flip the pattern over for the scrapbook paper so that the design is on the top and turned the way you want it.

[2] Cut out the scrapbook paper just outside of your traced line.

[3] Cut out the foam core board just inside your traced line. This will ensure your foam core board is slightly smaller than your scrapbook paper so you don't have to trim the foam core board.

[4] Chalk or ink the edges of bird.

[5] Mod Podge bird to the foam core board. Let sit for about 15 minutes until dry.

[6] Mod Podge the entire surface of the bird. Let dry completely and repeat. I did this 3 times so I had a really thick coat of Mod Podge. This made the scrapbook paper seem more substantial. I used regular paper for one bird and it was kind of ripple-y. I think it is best to stick with cardstock.

[7] Tie a ribbon loosely around the neck of your bird.
[8] Hot glue a picture hanger (either a real one or a little loop of ribbon or string) to the back and hang it up.

I liked these so much I made several--they were so quick!

Sweet and simple!
That's the way I like it!

I'm linking to THESE parties.
Visit thecsiproject.com
post signature

Two Shades of Pink,  said... August 16, 2010 at 9:32 AM

As always I love it. But you know me...anything with birds makes me ridiculously happy. I like that this is big too. Cute, cute, cute.

Terrell,  said... August 16, 2010 at 4:45 PM

I agree...this would make some seriously sweet Christmas ornaments! They're just precious! I'm happy to be your newest follower of your delightful blog! Be sure to come by FrouFrouDecor..I love having new friends! I also have a link party every Friday and would love to have you link up!
Hugs,
~Terrell @ FrouFrouDecor~

creativejewishmom.com,  said... August 19, 2010 at 7:44 PM

I love sweet and simple too! Thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday, and hope to see you again soon!

Sharyn,  said... August 20, 2010 at 6:53 AM

Just too cute - and clever! A link to your page has been added to the Hybrid Crafting page on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/pages/edit/?id=138252309523520&sk=basic#!/pages/Hybrid-Crafting/138252309523520

Sherry,  said... August 20, 2010 at 4:27 PM

These sweet birds are a great project and since I am a fan of birds I will be making a few to land around my house. Thanks for sharing.

Sheri@childmade.com,  said... August 25, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Great knock-off! I can't tell the difference! And a great tute, too. Thanks for joining my perpetual link party! Please come again.

fosterkarly,  said... August 26, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Love! So easy! Thanks for the idea! My two little girls share a room and they have a whole bird theme going on. Going to add this in the room!

Krista@thegatheringplacedesign,  said... August 26, 2010 at 12:13 PM

So sweet, thanks for sharing! I am putting together a play room for my girls and these would be so cute in there. Great job!