Monday, August 30, 2010

I'm gonna have to face it...

my girls are going back to school ;(

I know this is late for many of you, but you can always use this idea for a teacher appreciation gift, too. I just couldn't do it any earlier--I am in denial--and school doesn't begin until next week for us. I have loved having my older girls home this summer to help entertain my younger daughter.

Each year, I send my children to school with a small gift for their teachers. I want the initial impression to be a good one and a small gift helps the teacher know right off that I am here and willing to support her/him any way I can.

This is one of my favorite gifts to send in because it just looks like fall and back to school to me. Also, if you don't want to make caramel apples, you have several apples on hand, some candy that will save for anytime, and a basket that is good for something. In other words, one way or the other, the gift will probably be used!

Here's what you need:

*bushel basket**
*5 apples
*individually wrapped caramel candies
  (about 50 or a 14 oz. package)
*5 craft sticks
*ribbon
*recipe (printable HERE)
*card (printable HERE)
*tissue paper
*cardstock

*I found bushel baskets at Hobby Lobby this year and bought the smallest size. It holds 5 apples perfectly. In the past, I have found these at the Dollar Store. Don't ask me why I didn't buy 17 or 18 of them when I saw them there! You can bet I checked about 10 times this year! I finally gave in and bought them at HL.

Putting this together is self-explanatory. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here you go:

The card with a message to the teacher has a recipe for making caramel apples attached to the back. You can print those out together on white cardstock HERE. I clipped them together with a paperclip for that school-looking touch.

My recipe came from the back of the package of Kraft caramels and can be found here if you want just the recipe.

So simple, but sends a great message to the teacher.
post signature
I'm linking to THESE link parties.

Fiamar,  said... August 30, 2010 at 7:55 AM

Hello!!
It's really a lovely idea, the teacher will love it.
Thanks for the tip! :)

Bye
Fiamar

Suzanne,  said... August 30, 2010 at 8:08 AM

I love this! That is adorable and yummy! What a great idea! :)

Katy,  said... August 30, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Great idea! I don't have any little kiddies running around yet (just little kitties, haha!), but this is a great idea for when we do have kids!

Nancy's Couture,  said... August 30, 2010 at 11:44 AM

What a great idea. I love that it's all in the basket. I'm sure any teacher could have a million uses for the basket. And I'm sure all the other teachers will be envious! I'm bookmarking this for next year when my son goes to kindergerten.

creativejewishmom.com,  said... August 30, 2010 at 3:30 PM

A wonderful idea and a nice presentation! And so smart to start off the year on a giving note! Thanks so very much for stopping by Craft Schooling Sunday and sharing this, boy could i go for a caramel apple just about now......!

Erin,  said... August 30, 2010 at 4:39 PM

That is so cute!

(I love your dice! It is much more put together than mine...LOL!! Mine has a few scraggly edges. I agree - great minds must think alike :)

Randi,  said... August 30, 2010 at 7:09 PM

That's such a great basket ... who wouldn't love to get that?

Jami,  said... August 30, 2010 at 7:29 PM

OH!!! I LOVE it!!! Will be doing this for youngest son's preschool teacher!
smiles!

Erin,  said... August 31, 2010 at 9:33 AM

This is so cute and so clever! Not too late for us. We still have another week (thank goodness.) I'm not ready either =o(

www.makignmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

Susie from Bienvenue,  said... August 31, 2010 at 10:03 AM

I love this!!!! Many of my best friends are teachers and I would have to say they would agree. Great idea!!!!

Amy F. P.,  said... August 31, 2010 at 3:19 PM

I love your Carmel apple basket! I would have never thought of sending something on the first day. What a great idea.

Shannon,  said... August 31, 2010 at 11:01 PM

SO STINKIN CUTE! If the kids in my class gave me presents to start school they would be my favorite for the day. If I got that cute apple basket they would be my favorite for the year! GREAT idea Tam!

Sheri@childmade.com,  said... September 1, 2010 at 9:02 AM

You are so good! I'm doing well to send my son to school with everything he NEEDS, much less extras! Their teachers must love you! Thanks for sharing ... I love this idea. I've featured your link on this week's newsletter.

Candace,  said... September 2, 2010 at 8:55 AM

As a high school teacher, I don't get the fun gifts like this! :( It looks fabulously delicious though, and I can/can't wait to send Addison's teachers fun gifts!

Terrell,  said... September 3, 2010 at 2:53 PM

This is sooo precious! You'd better believe I'm going to print this cuties off and make up a basket for my little girls teacher...she's great! Thank you for the FABULOUS FIND girl! :D
~Terrell @ FFD~

Ashlee @ I'm Topsy Turvy,  said... September 4, 2010 at 2:11 AM

CUTE! and fun to give the teacher something at the beginning of the year. Not just the end of year gifts we see all the time! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday!

Jasey,  said... September 4, 2010 at 9:51 AM

I love this as a teacher and a mommy!

Happy Day,
Jasey @ Crazy Daisy
crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com

Lorie,  said... September 4, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Oh! I love that! The basket is so cute! And we love caramel apples.

Tao Of Craft,  said... September 4, 2010 at 11:49 AM

This is soooo cute! Thanks for sharing... I can't wait to make these for our teachers!
Carrie

Delia,  said... September 5, 2010 at 12:38 AM

I love this idea. WHat a cute mini apple basket to put it all in.

Katie's Nesting Spot,  said... September 9, 2010 at 11:40 PM

I love you monogramed circles and this idea is great too! I'm hosting a Back to School Linky party tomorrow on my other blog: http://www.abcand123learning.com/ and I'd love for you to share these on it!

Nike,  said... September 13, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Found you from Childmade:

Love this idea - so perfect for teachers! I think I'll use this for parent-teacher conferences in a few weeks. Thanks!

Anne@LittleSproutBooks,  said... September 15, 2010 at 8:11 PM

yummy idea! I know I'd love to receive it! I too put together a spur-of-the-moment teacher gift! (visiting from abc&123)

bet1975,  said... September 28, 2010 at 8:40 AM

what a great idea! you are so creative!!! thanks for sharing your ideas!