Thursday, July 29, 2010

Hiding from the Neighbors

We rescued this from our neighbor's trash--much to my embarrassment.

Actually, let me clarify. I saw it on the curb, but didn't have the guts to grab it. I called my husband to ask him about it. He said he saw it on his way to work, stopped to look at it, but it was too decrepit to save. The short story is that I bugged him about and he stopped and picked it up on the way home from work that day. Whew! It sat in our garage for a while. He gave it menacing looks every time he glanced at it. I just kept telling him what I envisioned.
What do YOU think?

We used the wood from a playhouse we made a few years ago (and then took apart recently because it was too big for our basement) to redo the table top and the tops of the benches.

The supports underneath were also rotting, so my husband made new ones from the leftover wood from this craft and this craft. He figured out how to screw it all together with pocket screws and it was ready for its day at the paint spa.

We primed then painted it an apple green (leftover from painting my girls' room) mixed with an outdoor paint left over from our sandbox redo (another post!) that was off white. After mixing it, it was a little more pale than I wanted, but I actually love the color. It is exactly the same color I used on the backing board for a shelf I just painted (also another post!). I wanted to stay away from traditional colors, but I was a little worried about this looking like an Easter egg. I think I am safe because, after I added all of the other colors, it is just "eclectic".

Then, I used the Silhouette to cut out a place setting and used the "negative" to adhere the vinyl to the table. It took a long time and a lot of patience to lay this out, but it worked perfectly.

Then, I painted using both craft paint and spray paint. I used my girls' favorite colors whether they went together or not. I wanted to make this project without spending any money at all, but I would definitely recommend only spray paint in the future. It dried so much quicker and smoother, of course!

There was some smudging and mistakes, but I wasn't worried for this project. (Ok, a little--it bothers me, but it shouldn't!) Next, I added a few details like flowers, dots, and a simple monogram.

Finally, it got a coat of clear sealant and we are ready for our picnic in style!

You gotta love the way it reinforces a correct table setting in such a sneaky manner! I know lots of adults who can't remember where to put everything. And, the neighbors whose trash we took this from have wandered past and blatantly stared at us working on "their" table. Bet they wish they didn't throw it out!

Hmmmm . . . Maybe I should invite them over for a picnic!

I'm linking this project HERE.
post signature

Auntie K,  said... July 29, 2010 at 12:38 PM

You're so clever, though we already knew that. Now that I'm entertaining little people more often, I would really like a low table for eating and playing and crafting. But of course, I don't want to spend any money. If only you were here to take charge!

Nancy's Couture,  said... July 29, 2010 at 1:58 PM

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! I think it is great. I'm sure your neighbors are a little jealous!!!

The Hall's,  said... July 29, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Ha, ha. I can clearly picture you cringing every time you look at the neighbors and every time you look at the "imperfections" in the paint. The table looks so cute.

Hope you guys are enjoying/surviving your summer! Miss you guys!

Sassy Sites!,  said... July 29, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Thanks for your kind comment on my blog! Check back today... it's a cute one!! By the way, I am going to be doing a giveaway tomorrow, so add me to your sidebar links to get a head start!! :)

Cortnie,  said... July 29, 2010 at 11:51 PM

SO CUTE! I need one so bad. We just have a little plastic one that falls apart when we try to move it. Wanna trade ;) ha ha

Tara@JustDevineStyle,  said... July 30, 2010 at 1:49 AM

Such a cute idea! I love the finished project. Don't worry the neighbors wont recognize it. lol

Adrienne,  said... July 30, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I love the weekly postings. Your projects have been AMAZING lately! I am in LOVE with this cute table.

P.S. I too love that it teaches your kids how to correctly set a table.

Bec,  said... July 30, 2010 at 5:47 PM

My husband traces the place settings every time we eat at Macaroni Grill so this made me chuckle.

bec@theiheartblog

Erin,  said... July 31, 2010 at 10:29 PM

gorgeous transformation! I adore the place settings, so clever!

LaKeta,  said... August 2, 2010 at 4:36 PM

I bet they are sorry they threw this one out :) It is precious...I adore the cute little place settings...a great touch of whimsy!

Have a beautiful day!

LaKeta

1luckeegirl.blogspot.com

Jeanette,  said... August 14, 2010 at 10:36 AM

What a fantastic idea! I want to paint place settings on my dining room table now!

Pretty sure my husband would kill me though *Sigh*

C.R.A.F.T.,  said... August 15, 2010 at 11:33 AM

love this! come on over and link up to MMM....starts tonight at midnight :0

Randi,  said... August 16, 2010 at 7:46 PM

That's really cute. What a fun table for the kids! (and I love your header ... adorable.)

Michelle,  said... August 18, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Oh, WOW! The table is cute and when you see where it was when you rescued it...WOW!!!!!!!!!!! What a fantastic job!

Katie,  said... August 20, 2010 at 7:12 AM

OMG! What an amazing up-cycle! LOOKS brand new and not even the neighbors who through it out would even think twice that the picnic table was once there's! :)

KJ@letsgoflyakite,  said... August 22, 2010 at 6:08 PM

I saw your table on Be Different, this is a remarkable transformation.

Sandra {sawdust and paper scraps},  said... September 3, 2010 at 11:05 PM

You have some really cute projects here. I've been looking at every one and moving on to the next. Sorry for not commenting on every post but I would have been here all night. Really fresh and cute ideas.

Cara @ Twice Lovely Furniture,  said... September 5, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Oh WOW! I ABSOLUTELY love your blog. And your taste. thanks for sharing all your wonderful ideas. I hope to purchase a darling outfit for my bub one of these days.