Monday, July 26, 2010

Caught my Eye!

I recently had my annual eye exam and got reamed by the doctor for wearing my contacts longer than I am supposed to. You would think I would run and hide when I saw THIS post at Out of the Crayon Box which happens to be one of my favorite blogs to read. Instead, I was instantly in love with the eye chart as an anniversary gift! It's quirky and sappy-without-looking-sappy and I knew I needed to make one for MY anniversary which was right around the corner.

Luckily I saw this just in time!

And, I'm hoping Jane is on board with imitation being the sincerest form of flattery because I completely copied her and thought about how smart and creative she is the whole time I worked on this project!

Jane discovered THIS site to make your own eye chart. The problem is that the bottom line of text is supplied for you. You may know or have figured out already, I am a bit verbose for that--I needed all of the letters!

So I found a way...and I will share!

[1st] Choose your text/lettering. I chose a Beatles' song since that is my husband's  favorite music and the lyrics made the message easy. Make your eye chart HERE and print it out to use as a guide--not necessary, but nice! It is especially helpful to see how your text will actually look once you break it up for the chart.

[2nd] Now make it yourself! Type in your text using a GeoSlab703XBd BT font. I did quite a bit of research on font styles and sizes for making your own accurate chart. Sadly, that didn't work for me. I decided I would use that as a guide to make a good looking similar chart!

No need for accuracy--not checking eyes here; just hearts!

In the end, I made my chart in Photoshop because I could place the lines of text more accurately (especially the little lines) without having to deal with changing the spacing. I did most of it in Microsoft Word, though, before I switched so I know it works pretty well there, too. Here are the font sizes I used with the GeoSlab703XBd BT font:

Line 1 (top): 172
Line 2: 130
Line 3: 108
Line 4: 87
Line 5: 65
Line 6: 43
Line 7: 33

[3rd] Print it out on a nice paper or cardstock. I printed mine on 9x12 (cheap and used a coupon!) sketch paper from Hobby Lobby. It came in a notebook and was cream on one side and white on the other. It looks like linen paper but is thicker. Love it!

[4th] Frame it in a simple frame to look more accurate authentic.

[5th] Wrap it up in whatever fashion you choose and gift away!

Want it?
If you would like my Microsoft Word(unfinished) or Photoshop (psd file) version of this, just leave a comment or send an email (shewearsflowers@gmail.com) telling me which file(s) and I will send it to you as an attachment so you can change it any way you would like without some of the set up work. SEE UPDATE BELOW.

I'm linking HERE this week--check out these great blogs, too!

UPDATE: You can now download the files without emailing me. Just click on the links below. Still loving the comments, though, so don't forget to tell me what you think! You are welcome to download as many as you want as many times as you want. Please be sure to link back and let me know if you use my idea.

Photoshop WORKABLE version (PSD) go HERE
PDF document (Exactly the same as my chart--not workable) go HERE
Microsoft Word version (docx)--this is unfinished but workable--go HERE

post signature

Tanyia,  said... July 26, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Stopping by from the Market Yourself Mondays at Sumo's Sweet Stuff, great project! :) love how you totally made it work for you, and the bright blue bow is great!

Here is mine if you want to stop by :)

Dee,  said... July 26, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Perfect Timing! My husband has been complaining that his perfect eyesight has finally gone south! (Turning 40 stinks) Great idea for a "sympathy" card for him!!

Ms Bingles Vintage Christmas,  said... July 26, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Wow, this is so cute!
Thank you for sharing!
Have a good evening!
Leticia
www.msbinglesvintagechristmas.com

Cowbiscuits,  said... July 26, 2010 at 7:18 PM

wow i love this! it would make such a good gift!!
I'd love it in the Microsoft file pleaaase

nfgchimp@hotmail.com

much love x

Carin,  said... July 26, 2010 at 8:28 PM

neat idea! I would appreciate the .psd file! Thanks for offering to share!

carinbarrett at hotmail dot com

Sassy Sites!,  said... July 27, 2010 at 12:35 AM

CUTE!!! I love your blog! Great ideas! I am your newest follower. Stop by Sassy Sites and say HI! :)

bunny,  said... July 27, 2010 at 1:44 AM

I love this idea! Thank you so much for sharing this! You're so talented! I subscribed in RSS.

I'm going to make a few for some recent graduates just as soon as I can settle on a quote.

If possible, could you send both formats? I am learning to work with Photoshop, but can fall back on Microsoft Word if I can't manage to make PS work.

Thank you!
deena
dustbunny @ gmail . com

Erica,  said... July 27, 2010 at 6:23 AM

LOVE IT! Can I pretty please also have both formats for the same reasons as above?

Thanks so much for sharing such a cool project!

Erica
ericarobinson@dodo.com.au

Jami,  said... July 27, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Such a fun idea! I'm your newest follower!! You are super creative! I hope you'll stop by my Pretty Packages Party next week and share some of your talent! Be sure to pick up a button so you don't forget!
www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com
smiles!!

Shara,  said... July 27, 2010 at 5:37 PM

I would love to have your word file. Such a great gift idea!

Shara,  said... July 27, 2010 at 5:44 PM

I forgot to add my email for the word document request:)
zuzuscrate@bellsouth.net

Myssie,  said... July 27, 2010 at 9:06 PM

So cool!! I would love the word document! Thanks so much!!

myssie95[at]hotmail[dot]com

C.R.A.F.T.,  said... July 28, 2010 at 5:03 PM

im featuring this next monday..!! thank you for linking u to MMM :)

Makalani Adolpho, PLC,  said... July 28, 2010 at 9:56 PM

This makes a cool piece of artwork. TFS!

Visiting by way of Whatever goes Wednesdays

~Makalani
Makaz Home

I'm hosting a halloween inspiration link party until the end of the week, would love any inspiration that you have. Link up here

Becca,  said... July 29, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Tammy this is so awesome! I love it! I'll be featuring it with full credit to you with links back to your beautiful site on Aug. 28th! Thanks for linking!

Becca

PuppyLovePrincess,  said... July 30, 2010 at 11:09 AM

so cute! i've posted about the cuteness on my blog (w/credits and link.) thanks for sharing your creativity!

michelle@somedaycrafts,  said... July 30, 2010 at 5:50 PM

This is adorable. I will feature this today at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Garb miy "Featured" Button.

Mom2Da'Gorgeouses,  said... July 30, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Found you from Kind Over Matter---super cute! Off to send you an email requesting the file. You rock!!
Hugs & Blessings!

Teresa,  said... July 30, 2010 at 8:35 PM

I love this! Thank you so much for sharing! Would you mind sending me both files? I would be greatly appreciative! Thank you!
palmettomommy(at)yahoo.com

Michelle,  said... July 30, 2010 at 9:41 PM

This is absolutely adorable! I've made one myself, and I found that if you don't put spaces in the text, you can use every last letter to cover even the entire last line without their random letters.

Coley,  said... July 30, 2010 at 9:43 PM

I would love the word file. That turned out absolutely adorable. I have vision problems and my husband jokes that when I see clearly again I will find out he's ugly so this will be a great joke between us. ;) Thank you for sharing.

Coley,  said... July 30, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Oops it might have helped if I'd left you my email addy. It's coleybelle(at)gmail(dot)com.

Joanna,  said... July 30, 2010 at 10:07 PM

I love it! Please send me the word document. My email is joannamcgonigle@hotmail.com. Thanks!

Kim Klassen,  said... July 31, 2010 at 12:03 AM

OH my word.. this is BRILLIANT.

i must make some... would you mind sending me the psd file? pretty please....

kkd@mts.net

i am going to share your link on my stay-cation blog next week. it'll be a huge hit.

wonderful... 'sigh'

emstanchik1986,  said... July 31, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Please email me the MS Word link! thanks!!

emstanchik1986@hotmail.com

John, Sarah and Maddie,  said... July 31, 2010 at 10:44 AM

I LOVE this! My dad is an optometrist and will be retiring soon. I would love to make him an eye chart with a congrats message. Can you please forward your word file??? I'd certainly appreciate it! Thanks much! Sarah

jsmreed(at)new.rr.com

Sachiko,  said... July 31, 2010 at 8:40 PM

How unique and fun!! I love this idea. Thank you for sharing the tutorial too!

Lisa,  said... August 1, 2010 at 2:47 PM

What an adorable idea! I work in an eye drs office and just LOVE this!! I'll be making one soon!! thanks for sharing the info!

Rebecca,  said... August 1, 2010 at 9:08 PM

I just saw one of these that someone made for their "welcome table" at their wedding and I was thinking what a GREAT idea it was. Thanks for sharing!

val,  said... August 2, 2010 at 11:35 AM

I've been wanting to make one of these and now you've taken the guess work right out of it for me. Thanks for sharing :)!

Meander,  said... August 7, 2010 at 5:02 AM

Hello cutie! I blogged about this earlier on in the week and just wanted to give you a heads up! Much love and *hugs* all around! Have a wonderful weekend doll!!!
www.fly-houseofdesign.blogspot.com

Connie Lou,  said... August 17, 2010 at 5:00 AM

Thank you! I love this, found you through kim and I am glad I did!

Katy,  said... August 29, 2010 at 12:31 AM

OMG! How absolutely adorable! Love, love it!! Thank you much for sharing!

Sabrina,  said... August 29, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Wonderful tutorial! I just downloaded the font and made my own chart in Powerpoint this morning before realizing you had the chart available for download here! Ha! Oh well. BTW...powerpoint also works great for this kind of stuff. Again, thanks so much for sharing!!!

Rebecca@This Present Life,  said... September 6, 2010 at 11:54 PM

Thanks for the tutorial! I linked to it on my blog. Stop by and check it out if you have a chance!

Melanie Beth,  said... September 10, 2010 at 1:02 PM

This is great! Love the Beatles reference... my husband would approve! I just might need to make this!

erin,  said... October 30, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Thanks so much. I am linking to you in my post....I made one! Love it.

Kim @ It's a Crafty Life,  said... February 6, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Hi Tammy, love this project! I featured it and made a similar one over at my blog. Stop by and tell me what you think! :-) Can't believe I haven't found your blog till now...it's super cute & I'm a new follower.

Da Party Diva,  said... January 20, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Thanks so much for sharing! I used your font sizes as a guide and it was so helpful!

rogger binny,  said... April 25, 2015 at 5:51 AM

Thank you so much for sharing. I really like this word file. you mind sending me both files? I would be greatly appreciative.

Best eye care hospital in India || Eyes Doctor | Eye Surgeon | Eye Center