Monday, May 10, 2010

Did you know you could Mod Podge THESE?

Avery has these darling raspberry (yep, that's the color!) colored shoes. I love them, she loves them, everywhere we go people love them. Unfortunately she loved them as she dragged them along the sidewalk while coasting on her trike.

I put them out in the donate box. She kept asking for them. I wasn't really ready to part with them myself, but I sure wasn't letting her wear them out in public like this. Then I had an idea. I have used Mod Podge for a lot of stuff. Why not her shoes? They weren't expensive, they are patent leather and, they were obviously useless at this point. I didn't have much to lose by experimenting with a little Mod Podge shoe project.

I found some scrap fabric that looked like it would go perfectly with these shoes. I cut it in a semi-circle so it would go over the part where the patent leather was scraped off.

Then, I coated the scraped area generously with glossy Mod Podge.

Next, I patted my fabric onto the wet Mod Podge and used the end of my fingernail to coax it into the tiny space between the rubber of the sole and the patent leather. (Sorry this picture isn't very clear.)

I let it dry for about 20 minutes and then coated the whole thing with another coat of Mod Podge.

I used a sponge brush and did my best to keep a straight line near the edges of the fabric because I didn't know how the Mod Podge would or would not blend in with the patent leather. I let the Mod Podge go just over the edge (1/8 inch ??) so it would be sure to seal the fabric completely.

I didn't worry too much about Mod Podge getting into the rubber part of the shoe.

I went ahead and did two more coats just to be sure this was covered really well. I let each coat dry for about 30 minutes or more before the next one.

The whole time I worked on these, Avery kept asking me if she could wear them yet. She was SO excited to have them. I told her she couldn't wear them for two days so it could dry completely. She was SO disappointed. A couple hours after I finished, we had to run to the grocery store. She asked me so sweetly if she could wear them and told me she had touched them and they were dry. I felt them and they really seemed thoroughly dry. We went to the store (in the rain and puddles) and those shoes held up perfectly!

Oh, how I really do love that Mod Podge!

A note if you want to do this yourself...I really think I should have used fabric that contrasted more. This one looked good, but it really almost blended in too well! And, I think I would have covered more of the shoe--a larger semi-circle.

post signature
Visit thecsiproject.com

Melissa,  said... May 10, 2010 at 2:18 PM

You are a genius! Thanks for the teacher gift ideas, I needed some desperately.

Jenn,  said... May 10, 2010 at 3:32 PM

You are a genius! I am going to remember this one!
Have a great day
Jenn

Nancy's Couture,  said... May 11, 2010 at 2:02 PM

How awesome!!! I wish I would have seen this a year ago. The princess had the cutest pair of black suede shoes. the first time she wore them she wore the suede off the toes at day care. I could have cried! I will definately be doing this the next time she destroys the toes.

Mother Lode,  said... May 15, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Brilliant! I've passed up many a pair of kids shoes thrifting due to scuffed toes - now when I see a great pair with a little bit of wear in the toe, I'll know exactly how to bring them back to life in style!

Missy,  said... November 10, 2010 at 6:43 PM

I know this is so late, I just came acrossd this post today ;O) My daughter has the EXACT same shoes {love Target} and so sadly the very first day she wore them to pre-school the toes were completely scuffed off! I know what I am doing tonight!

mommapodz,  said... April 4, 2011 at 1:03 PM

I was looking around your site and saw this post. I LOVE this idea! How many shoes get tossed aside because of scuffed toes? My husband will love the idea of extending the life of some our girls' shoes. Thanks.

creativejewishmom.com,  said... July 17, 2011 at 5:39 AM

This is an AMAZING idea! Saw it on pinterest, and missing you on Craft schooling Sunday! hope you'll drop by again soon!

Evette Mendisabal,  said... December 20, 2011 at 2:29 AM

Thank you so much for sharing this idea. It works so well. It helped me bring new life to a pair of my daughters shoes. I posted on my blog about it, and linked back here to your original post. Thanks again for sharing your talents.

Evette

trieschman,  said... January 20, 2012 at 11:43 PM

You have an amazing solution for fixing all the sad shoes in our house! Thank you. I shared your link on my blog. http://craft-connection.blogspot.com/2012/01/saving-scuffed-shoes.html

Paxton,  said... March 7, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Bravo! I have a lovely pair of black shoes that is worn to death in this house, I will be going through some fabric stashes this afternoon!
Thanks for the great idea and tip!